AFFF Fire Extinguisher
AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) Extinguisher is used for fighting A (General Fire), B (Oil Fire) and C (Gas Fire) classes of fires. It extinguishes fire by the smothering process. The extinguisher can directly be used at the scene of a fire. Can be used on all classes of fire but when used on an electrical fire, up to 440 volts maintain at least 1.8 meters distance.
There are different sizes of AFFF portable fire extinguishers, but the 9-litre AFFF fire extinguisher is the most available and suitable for ships. AFFF fire extinguishers are specially used to extinguish fires on ships’ Helicopter decks (Helo Deck). There is a much larger extinguisher placed in the Helo hangers and machinery compartments.
The colour of the container is Red. AFFF is also used for fixed firefighting systems on helicopter decks and External Firefighting systems.
Technical Specification of 9 Liter AFFF Portable Extinguisher
- Composition – 8.45 litres of fresh water, 550ml AFF Solution
- Working Pressure – 250 PSI
- Testing Pressure – 350 PSI or 25kGg/cm2 for 5 minutes
- The throw of Jet – 6-9 meters
- Endurance – 60 – 90 seconds
- Foam Expansion Ratio – 1:6 (Will form 54liters of foam)
- Weight of the CO2 Cartridge – 120 grams
- Keep the extinguisher in a vertical position
- Hold the nozzle towards the source of the fire. Make sure that the holes on the nozzle are not obstructed, as the foam solution must contact air freely to generate foam properly.
- Remove safety clip
- Squeeze the handle and direct the foam to the scene of the fire in a sweeping motion/ making figure of eight.
Watch THIS VIDEO to get a clear idea.
- Hold the foam-making branch pipe in front towards the fire scene before operating.
- If the extinguisher is not operated after a hard punch, lay down the extinguisher in a horizontal position and loosen the wheel up to safety holes.
- Then roll it close to the fire.
- Raise pressure if below operable.
- Leakage test.
- The nozzle must be unobstructed.
- Be sure that the locking pin is inserted.
Charging Procedure of 9 Liter AFFF Fire Extinguisher
- Open the wheel cap. Remove the CO2 cartridge.
- Check the condition of the locking pin, plunger movement, rubber gasket, threads, and safety holes.
- Wash the extinguisher with fresh water.
- Add the water of 8.45 litres and AFFF Solution 550 ml.
- Replace a new 120-gram CO2 cartridge after weighing.
- Tighten the wheel cap.