What is Green Bean Casserole?
Green Bean Casserole is a casserole mostly filled with green beans, cream of mushroom soup and French-fried onions. This is a very easy side dish recipe, and it is perfect for the holidays. But due to less preparing time, it is also a great side dish for busy weeknights.
Other than that, it gains more popularity due to the characteristics of easily be made the day ahead and serve after reheating when the guest arrived.
Creamy mushroom sauce surrounded by tender green beans, topped with the crunchy flavour of French’s crispy fried onions makes this American Vegan cuisine an instant classic and delicious. So, this side dish transforms an everyday meal into a memory-making thanksgiving dinner.
Some researches show that 40% of the Cream of Mushroom soup sold in the United States goes into making Green Bean Casserole.
History of the Green Bean Casserole
Dorcas Reilly (1926-2018), a supervisor works at Home Economics Department of the Campbell Soup Company located in Camden, New Jersey created this delicious dish in 1955. This dish is initially known as Green Bean Bake. It was filled with two kitchen staples at the time, those were green bean and cream of mushroom soup.
Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom varieties was tasted since 1934. At the time this cream of mushroom soups was widely used as casserole filler in the Midwest. Because of serving with Minnesotan hotdish recipes in the Midwest, sometimes this mushroom soups referred to as “Lutheran Binder”. But no one thought to add frozen green beans to this mix until Dorcas came to the action.
This Reilly’s dish took off when Campbell Soup Company began printing the recipe on their mushroom soup cans.
In 2002, Dorcas presented the original Green Bean Casserole recipe card to the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio. She died in 15th October 2018 at the age of 92 in her hometown of Camden, New Jersey.
Ingredients for Green Bean Casserole
Ingredients for a Green Bean Casserole Dish to serve 6 people
- 1 Can (10 ½ ounces) of Campbell Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or 98% Fat-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 dash of black pepper
- 4 cups cooked and cut green beans
- 1 1/3 cups of French-fried onions
Steps to make the dish
Add Mushroom Soup, Milk, Soy Sauce, Black Pepper, Green Beans and 2/3 cup of French-fried onions into a dish and Stir well.
Bake the mixture at 350 Fahrenheit for 25 minutes or until the Green been mixture gets hot and bubbling.
Stir the mixture and sprinkle it with the remaining French-fried onions.
Bake the mixture again for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
Tips to make a delicious Green Bean Casserole dish
- If you are hoping to use Cooked Green Beans, use 2 cans (14.5 ounces or 411g each) of green beans drained.
- If you are hoping to use fresh green beans, use 1 ½ pound or 680g.
- If you are trying to use frozen green beans, use 16 to 20 ounces or 455 to 560g of thawed green beans.
- If you are using fresh or frozen green beans, blanch them before adding to the mixture. Blanching will increase the colour, freshness and it retard loss vitamins during the freezing.
- If you want to make Golden Green Bean Casserole, substitute Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup for the Cream mushroom Soup and eliminate the soy sauce. Stir the mixture while adding ¼ cup of chopped red pepper and the green beans.
- To make Broccoli Casserole, substitute 4 cups of cooked broccoli florets for the green beans.
- To add a festive touch to the Casserole, stir the mixture while adding ¼ cup of chopped red pepper.
- To make the Casserole crunchier, add ¼ cup of toasted sliced almonds to the onion topping.
- To make the Italian version of the green bean Casserole with Pancetta and Rosemary, follow these steps. Cook 4 ounces or 113g of diced Pancetta in a skillet over medium heat until almost crisp. Then add ¼ cup of chopped onion and ½ teaspoon of minced fresh rosemary leaves to the skillet and cook until onion gets tender. Then add this Pancetta and Rosemary mixture to the soup mixture created following the original Green Bean Casserole recipe. Then sprinkle the remaining French-fried onions with 1 tablespoon of grated Pecorino Romano cheese to the mixture. Finally, bake the mixture as per the instructions given by original Green Bean Casserole recipe.
- If you don’t like the taste of canned mushroom soup, you can make your own mushroom soup easily. For that you must find the same amount of sliced mushroom as per the original recipe ingredients list, 1 onion sliced into half-moons and 3 cloves of minced garlic. First, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Then add onion and stir occasionally for 5 minutes until the mixture gets tender. Then add mushroom and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Again, stir the mixture often about 5 minutes until mushrooms get golden. Finally, add garlic and stir the mixture for 1 minute until fragrance coming out.
Nutritional Facts Green Bean Casserole dish
- 324 Calories (16.2% of Daily Values of Women, 12.96% of Daily values of men)
- 7g Protein (13.4% of Daily Values)
- 4g Carbohydrates (7.4% of Daily Values)
- 6g Fat (39.3% of Daily Values)
- 8mg Cholesterol (6.6% of Daily Values)
- 2mg Sodium (46.4% of Daily Values)
Can we make Green Bean Casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can keep the pre-prepared mixture as per the instructions given by the original Green Bean Casserole recipe in a refrigerator up to 3 days. For this, you must cover the dish with a plastic, polythene or aluminium wrap wile freezing.
When you are ready to bake it, take the mixture out of the refrigerator and let it to come to the room temperature. Then bake it as per the instructions given by the original Green Bean Casserole recipe but add additional 10 minutes of baking time.
Tools Needed to make an easy Casserole dish
- Large pot
- Baking dish according to the size of your Casserole
Thanks for reading. Share your thoughts in the comment section.
- Subscribe to our mailing list and RSS feed to get notifications of upcoming documentaries.
- Share this content on WhatsApp, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter to support us.
- For more info, recommends visiting ‘Ingredients’ YouTube channel.
- Follow nextgenreaders on Twitter. @nextgenreaders
- Like Ingredients on Facebook. Ingredients
- Upvote nextgenreaders on reddit. u/nextgenreaders
- Follow Ingredients on Pinterest. @nextgenreaders