Sex on the Beach, Is it a cocktail?
Sex On The Beach Cocktail | This is a popular fruity and classic cocktail that is very simple to make and easy to drink. This is a favourite cocktail of many nations for spring break and beaches. Mainly the recipe calls for four ingredients. They are Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Orange Juice, and Cranberry Juice. This cocktail brings a great Peachy, Tart and Citrusy taste.
This cocktail tastes weaker than its potency because the tasty fruity juice covers the flavours of Vodka and Peach Schnapps. Being an easy-going, delicious and stealthy drink, this cocktail brings unintended and funny consequences for most new drinkers. But this won’t sneak up on you like the Long Island Iced Tea.
Because there is no shaking and straining, it is an easy cocktail you can make ahead of time. And also it makes this cocktail easy to refill or top-up. Therefore, this cocktail is a great drink to serve guests on an evening of a long and tiring day.
Normally this drink is built over ice in a highball glass and garnished with an orange wedge.
It is unclear exactly when and where the drink was invented like most cocktails. But the popular story leads to a bartender who lived in Florida. In 1987, a company called National Distribution began selling Peach Schnapps which was new to the United States at the time. That company made a contest in Fort Lauderdale in Florida to promote the product. The contest was the company paying 1000 Dollars to the bar which sold the most Peach Schnapps and 100 Dollars to the bartender who was responsible for the most sales.
A bartender called Ted Pizio, who worked at a bar called Confetti’s created a new drink by mixing Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Orange Juice, and Grenadine. When the drink started to become popular the people asked for a name for it. Ted thought that the reason thousands of people came to Fort Lauderdale for spring break is for Sex and the Beach. So he named the drink Sex on the Beach.
The only problem with this story is that the drink was already included in the 1982 “American Bartender’s Guide to Drinks” book.
Due to the popularity of the drink, people asked for the Sex on The Beach cocktail after returning to their areas after spring break. Many of the local bartenders didn’t know the recipe at the time and hence many variations came into the action and remain to this day.
However, nowadays it is much more common to see bars serving Sex on the Beach cocktail with Cranberry replacing the Grenadine.
- 38ml Vodka
- 25ml Peach Schnapps
- 50ml Orange Juice
- 50ml of Cranberry Juice
- Ice cubes
- For Garnishing – Orange, Lemon or lime wedges / Cherries / Cranberries or Cocktail umbrella
- Orange juice cut the strong taste and heat of the Vodka while adding a bright acidity and a fresher taste.
- Cranberry juice adds a sour taste that makes the drink irresistible and delicious.
Method of Making
- Fill two highball glasses with ice cubes.
- Pour Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Orange juice and Cranberry juice into a large jug and stir.
- Divide the mixture into two glasses and stir gently to combine.
- Garnish the glass as you wish using orange wedges, Maraschino cherries, Cranberries, Pineapple wheels or a cocktail umbrella.
Note:- Some bartenders don’t mix Orange juice with Cranberry juice to create a nice amber colour layer. So they first fill a glass with ice cubes and then pour well-stirred Orange juice and Peach Schnapps mixture into it. Then pour Vodka onto the Ice cubes and stir properly. Then add Cranberry juice slowly to the top of the ice cubes by not giving any chances to mix with the orange juice mixture.
Tips from Experts
- For this cocktail, you can use any kind of Vodka or any kind of Cranberry juice (Even Ocean Spray) in your hand. But the taste may bit differ due to the quality of the liquor and juices.
- Don’t use Peach liqueur for this cocktail. Because Peach liqueur is just fruit soaked in liquor. But the Peach Schnapps is a fermented and distilled liquor and it will add a perfect amount of sweetness to a Sex on the Beach Cocktail.
- Use fresh fruits for garnishing.
- To make this recipe non-alcoholic, simply eliminate Peach Schnapps and Vodka and add a splash of Peach juice.
- Hurricane glass and Martini glasses also can be used to serve.
- This also can be served as a shooter.
This cocktail is Dairy-free, Egg-free, Gluten-free and Vegan drink.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories – 92kCal
- Fat – 0g
- Saturates – 0g
- Carbohydrates – 8g
- Sugars – 8g
- Fibre – 1g
- Proteins – 1g
- Salts – 0g
Variations of Sex On The Beach
There are a lot of variations of the Sex on the Beach cocktail around the world. The popular variations are:
- Some areas replace Orange juice with Grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice makes the cocktail bit less sweet than Orange juice. And the Grapefruit flavour is a little bit sharper also.
- There is another variant of the Sex on the Beach cocktail, which is made with Chambord, Vodka, Melon Liqueur, Cranberry juice, and pineapple juice.
- The Woo Woo cocktail is also a popular version of the Sex on the Beach. It is made with the same ingredients without orange juice.
- Some bartenders mix nearly 25ml of Chambord or Grenadine with the main four ingredients.
- Some recipes replace orange juice with pineapple juice. It’s better to use a pineapple wheel for garnishing this variation.
Food Pairings for Sex on the Beach
This differs from person to person depending on their unique taste. But our suggestions are:
- Mexican Food
- Indian Food
- Tacos with Shrimp & Avocado
- Pasta with four kinds of cheese
- Indian Chicken Curry
- Lamb Shish Kebab
- Cantonese Rice
- Cream of Fennel with Bacon and Mushrooms
You are free to try any other food parings apart from these. Please leave a comment indicating your favourite food pairing of Sex on the Beach.
Thanks for reading. Share your thoughts in the comment section.
- Subscribe to our mailing list and RSS feed to get notifications of upcoming documentaries.
- Share this content on WhatsApp, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter to support us.
- For more info, recommends visiting ‘Ingredients’ YouTube channel.
- Follow nextgenreaders on Twitter. @nextgenreaders
- Like Ingredients on Facebook. Ingredients
- Upvote nextgenreaders on reddit. u/nextgenreaders
- Follow Ingredients on Pinterest. @nextgenreaders