What is Taco Seasoning?
Taco Seasoning Recipes for Chicken – Taco Seasoning is a very popular seasoning recipe that can be homemade in a few minutes with a favourable combination of herbs and spices. All the required ingredients can be easily found inside your pantry and all of them are inexpensive. This American and Mexican cuisine is preservative-free, gluten-free, and easily customizable.
This homemade version tastes a lot better than the store-bought while saving you a lot of money and time. Apart from that, this packeted seasoning may contain undesirable ingredients like dairy, sugar, starch, and preservatives. So it is a healthy idea to make this seasoning at your home.
Here I will show you how to make the best Taco seasoning mixture at home and methods of using it for tacos and beyond.
Ingredients | Taco Seasoning Recipes for Chicken
For 10 servings
- Chili Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Ground Cumin – 1 ½ Tablespoon
- Paprika – ½ Tablespoon
- Onion Powder – ¼ Tablespoon
- Garlic Powder – ¼ Tablespoon
- Red Pepper Flakes – ¼ Tablespoon
- Black Pepper – 1 Tablespoon
- Dried Oregano – ¼ Teaspoon
- Fine sea salt – 1 Tablespoon
I prefer to use smoked paprika because it contains a ton of flavours. But it is not harmful to use standard or sweet paprika.
Need to change the flavour bit?
You may control the flavour of the Taco seasoning mixture by changing the quantities of the ingredients as follows:
- Chili Powder – Adds heat and a southwestern flavour
- Garlic Powder – Adds aromas and a brighter flavour
- Onion Powder – Adds a subtle onion flavour and aromas
- Dried Oregano – Adds a spicy but sweet flavour
- Paprika – Adds a smokey flavour and helps colour the mixture
- Ground Cumin – Adds slightly nutty warm flavour with a little spice
- Salt and Black pepper – An added taste to finish the seasoning mixture
You can take more heat by adding a pinch of cayenne or ¼ to ½ teaspoon of chipotle powder. But if your kids are not spicy lovers, you can certainly make a mild taco seasoning by reducing the added amount of red pepper flakes, pepper, and chilli. If you are a garlic fanatic, double your adding quantity or make the adding garlic powder tablespoon to a heaping one.
You can add 1 teaspoon of corn starch to this mixture as an anti-clumping agent. It helps to thicken cooking liquids and to have a slightly saucy consistency. Adding corn starch will give you a great outcome when preparing beans, chicken, or beef tacos.
Some people add a pinch of cocoa powder or cinnamon to get more complex flavours according to their taste buds.
Required Equipment to prepare the mixture
- Measuring Spoons
- Medium Bowl
- Airtight jar for storage
Method of preparation | Taco Seasoning Recipes for Chicken
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and store in an airtight container.
How much taco seasoning do you need?
Approximately 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning will season 1 pound of meat (beef, turkey or chicken) or 3 cups of cooked beans.
How to use taco seasoning
First, brown the ground meat, then add one batch of seasoning mixture and saute for about two minutes more to toast the spices. For beans, simply add the spices and heat through. If you want to season the whole chicken breast, simply sprinkle the taco seasoning over the entire surface of the breasts and cook in a skillet until browned the outside.
Tips from the experts | Taco Seasoning Recipes for Chicken
- This seasoning mix contains salt. So, you won’t need to add extra salt to your meat when you cook it.
- There are lots of chilli types with different heat levels. So, select the chilli version that you preferred.
- Always use fresh spices because all spices lose their potency over time. So, look at the colour of the spices you are buying. Colours can be a great indication of the age of the spice. Brilliant and vibrant hues indicate freshness whereas dull and muted colours indicate less potency.
- If you are adding diced onion to your food recipe, you can omit onion powder from the taco seasoning ingredient list.
Nutrition Information | Taco Seasoning Recipes for Chicken
- Calories – 5
- Carbohydrates – 0.9g
- Sodium – 184 mg
- Protein – 0.2g
- Fat – 0.2g
- Potassium – 26mg
- Calcium – 9mg
- Iron – 0.5mg
Nutrition information is provided as an average. This will vary based on the cooking method, other ingredients used and the type of food to be cooked.
How long does Taco Seasoning last?
Normally homemade taco seasoning will last up to 6 months. If you store it in a cool and dry airtight container like a mason jar or OXO container, that will keep the mixer freshly for about a year.
How much homemade taco seasoning equals one store-bought packet?
One store-bought taco seasoning packet contains approximately 2 tablespoons of seasoning.
What recipes can we make delicious with this mixture?
- Ground Beef
- Ground Chicken
- Chicken Cutlet
- Baked Chicken Quesadillas
- Homemade Chicken Taquitos
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Grill chicken
- Chicken Steak
- Turkey Taco Skillet
- Lentil Tacos
- Baked Beef and Black Bean Taco
- Roasted Corn and Zucchini Taco
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Taco Dip
- Avocado Fish Tacos
- Taco Casserole
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Chicken Taco Pinwheels
- Easy Taco Sliders
- Beef Taco Salad
- Taco Soup
- Crispy beef tacos
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- Sweet Potato Taco
- Shrimp Taco
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita
- Mexican Rice
So, tell us about your favourite food recipe seasoning by a taco seasoning mixture. We are so happy to hear about your experiences.
Thanks for reading. Share your thoughts in the comment section.
- Subscribe to our mailing list and RSS feed to get notifications of upcoming documentaries.
- Share this content on WhatsApp, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter to support us.
- For more info, recommends visiting ‘Ingredients’ YouTube channel.
- Follow nextgenreaders on Twitter. @nextgenreaders
- Like Ingredients on Facebook. Ingredients
- Upvote nextgenreaders on Reddit. u/nextgenreaders
- Follow Ingredients on Pinterest. @nextgenreaders